Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 6, 2009

33 week appointment

On Wednesday, Clay and I had another OB appointment! We were so excited because we got to have another sonogram and see precious Riley! This time I made sure the sonographer showed me the girly body parts, and it was confirmed Riley is definitely a girl! She is already stubborn though and we were not able to get any good sonogram pics. Riley kept her head buried down in my pelvis region. Good news, she is no longer breach!

As some of you may know about 5 weeks ago, I was diagnosed as having Gestational Diabetes. This was really really really hard for me at first, I was so shocked and did not understand how or why this had happened. I felt awful and was so worried that something I had done (excessive amounts of ice cream or the many many jelly beans I ate) had caused this. Then I was angry, I mean why me? I worked out, I ate right, I did everything I was supposed to do, I am hardly ever the sick one.

With much prayer, God teaching me (again) that I am not in control, and more information, I learned that Gestational Diabetes is not something I could have prevented. My body (specifically the placenta) is just not able to handle all the hormones of pregnancy and is unable to break down sugars correctly. Luckily, almost 97% of gestational diabetics go back to normal immediately after delivery. (I am looking forward to this and already have a list of foods I cannot wait to consume.) Sonic strawberry milkshakes are at the top of the list!! In the mean time, all this GD stuff means I must be very consistant with my diet, counting carbs with each meal, absolutely no sugar, and I must monitor my blood sugar 4 times a day. And if GD is controlled and actively monitored (which it is) there should be no harm done to sweet baby Graham!

Back to the appointment, Dr. Levin said everything looked great!!! Riley is measuring a bit on the small side but she didn't seem to be too concerned. She said I was just small and that baby would likely just be small too. She did say that I will be coming in once a week now and will have a biophysical and ultrasound each time. Not 100% sure what all the biophysical entails, but she did warn me that the appointments would be long. But, yea!! We will get to check out Riley's sweet face each week. Okay and here is the big kicker, due to the GD....

Dr. Levin will be delivering baby Riley two weeks early!!! Ahhh....that is so soon!!

Unless something changes or Riley decides to come early on her own...we will be induced right after the 4th of July. Around July 6 or 7th! Sooo exciting, but now I must get to work. So much to do, so little time! :)

2 comments:

Paige said...

Oh my! That is great, the last two weeks are the worst and you won't have to deal with that waiting time. Keep me posted please!

Miranda said...

Oh yea! We will keep praying for all 3 of you!