Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, September 1, 2008

Slow start


...so the transition to first is not quite as smooth as expected. I neglected to realize what an incredible difference in attention spans, motor skills and listening skills there are between end-of-year second graders and beginning-of-the-year first graders. First graders are quite the little wiggle worms. :) This made for an interesting first week back to school. And while everything went really smoothly, I was extremely exhausted.

The first week of school is filled with learning and practicing procedures (walking in line, how the teacher will get your attention, cafeteria procedure, etc) I am so ready for the kids to pick up our classroom routines and procedures so that we can move on to fun, exciting learning! I know this year will become great and I will form relationships with these children just like years before but I am just ready for that to happen now!
I do love how first graders laugh at almost everything silly I say. They think I am hilarious which is really fun! And besides being silly, we get to sing many many many songs which usually makes all of us in a good mood. :)

2 comments:

Paige said...

The procedures and stuff almost took me an entire six weeks. First graders start the year as such babies, not being able to read, barely being able to recognize all letters and sounds, having accidents, needing help with everything from tying their shoes to undoing their belts for the bathroom breaks. You will be amazed by how much easier it is especially after Christmas break and then toward the end of the year they are getting so much more mature they are practically on cruise control with the exception of the classroom behavior problem kids. I'm sure you are doing so great and please call me soon!

The Kellys said...

Hi Michelle,

This is Kellie Kelly. I saw that you posted a note on Miranda's blog and thought I would check to see if it were you. I am so glad to hear that you are doing well. You look great!!! Hope to hear from you.

Check out our blog and the sweet little boy that runs my life!!
http://k-j-kelly.blogspot.com