Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Meet Reese!!

Reese Bailey Graham arrived Monday, March 12, 2012 at 5:50pm.  She was a beautiful 6 lbs 12 oz and 20 inches long!






Unhappy Reese with a very happy and very sweet Amor!! She was Reese's first nurse and was so awesome!  What a blessing to have such a loving nurse!



















First family picture!!

Fair warning: LONG Birth story below.   :)  Labor was kindof crazy.

So Sunday, March 11th was like any other Sunday at the Graham house.  We went to church, had lunch at with friends from church, went to target, had a normal naptime, and dinnertime. I was feeling so good I decided I would walk Scout and took him on our normal route (about 1 mile).  I felt so good when I got back I mentioned to Clay that I could have gone 2 more miles but we both decided it was best I not.  I told him I felt so good Reese would probably not come for awhile. 

Monday, the 12th I was the exact opposite.  I woke up SO tired.  I got Riley dressed and convinced her to read books with me in her bed.  Well, I fell asleep while reading to her and woke to her playing so sweetly on the floor of her room.  When I woke up I decided to get some laundry done and do a few chores around the house. 

About 10:45 I felt my first contraction. Now this will sound silly but I didn't really think it was a true contraction and was convinced it was not the start of labor.  But just in case I hopped in the shower with Riley and we got ready.  The contractions continued but were not terribly painful and (they felt SO different from the contractions when I was induced with Riley.)  I called Clay and mentioned I was having some pains but didn't really think this was "it."  Clay mentioned that he had called my mom and asked her go ahead and come a day early (she was all packed and ready to come but was just waiting until Tuesday because I wasn't being induced until Thursday.) 

We continued on about our day but I was having trouble playing much with Riley and she ended up getting to watch a few Dora or Diego's.  About 1pm I called Clay and asked him to come home because I was having trouble feeding Riley her lunch.  When he got here I was laying on my side trying to decide if these were real contractions and he convinced me to start timing them.  Well they were anywhere from 2-3 mins apart to 7-8 minutes apart and nothing consistent.  Clay played with Riley outside some, we put her down for a nap about 2:30.  About that time I asked Clay to call my sister to come be with Riley but I still wasn't sure if it was for real.  When Kristi got to our house I was still laying on the couch on my side and the contractions were definitely stronger now.  I started timing them again so I would have numbers when I called the doctors office.  Luckily when I called the nurse thought I should head to the hospital.  This was 4pm.

On the way to the hospital I think I only had like 1 contraction and I even told Clay I thought they would send me home and that it was false labor.  HA!  I even refused the wheelchair and walked to labor and delivery at the hospital.   I answered a few questions and signed a few papers, then walked to my room.  Clay had gone back to park the car and while I waited for a nurse the pain got worse.  Clay made it back and about 4:30 a nurse came in.  I immediately asked for an epidural.  She kindof laughed and said she would check me first. 

Well, when she checked I was at 8 cms!  What??!?!  I thought at most I would be 4-5.  But 8??  So she and another nurse started rushing around trying to get the room ready.  They were rushing around so much and things happened so quickly they never started the antibiotics I was supposed to receive because I was gbs + this pregnancy.  And they never even got Clay into scrubs.  My nurse also said the anesthesiologist was in a c-section but she would try to get him to come.  Time flew from that moment on.  I was in alot of pain and was saying some really fun stuff.  "Dadgum, doggone, schnikes" haha!  Clay gets quite a kick out of it now.  At one point I even reached out for the nurses arm and begged for her to "help me" :)  My doctor was on vacation b/c it was spring break so the doctor covering for her came in and luckily just before it was time to push (about 5:25) the anesthesiologist ran in.  He was able to give me a partial epidural ?  (not sure what that means but the doctor said that even though she knew I felt a lot of the birth it really helped by taking the edge off.  Can I just say how thankful I am for modern medicine!)  While lying on my side getting the epidural the doctor was talking to the nurses about how busy she was that day.  Dr Thayer had not only her and my doctors patients but was covering for a third doctor as well.  Dr. Thayer even talked about how at that very moment another patient was ready to deliver and at 10 cms but she had an epidural and I was so thankful that I was getting to deliver first.   Well just minutes after getting the epi, I was pushing.  About 4-5 sets of pushes later, Reese was born at 5:50.  I am so thankful she came on her own and was not induced.  But as all the nurses told me if I had waited any longer Clay likely would have delivered our baby.  They also were adament that with the next baby I must come in as soon as any contractions are consistent.  

I am so thankful for many things but I am especially thankful for
-Beverly, my doctors nurse knowing when to send me to the hospital
-clean hospitals, knowledgable doctors, nurses, and anesthesiologists
-no complications from being gbs+ even though Reese didn't get the antibiotics
-Dr. Thayer delivering me before another patient who was also ready to deliver
-the nurses who rushed around got everything ready but remained so calm and encouraging and helpful
-Clay calling my mom to come early.  She arrived before Riley woke from her nap and she, my sister and Riley were able to visit shortly after I gave birth.
-Clay, he was so helpful, encouraging, and amazing during delivery!! Love him!!
-And most of all for a health, beautiful baby girl!!!

What an experience!!!

3 comments:

Courtney Squillante said...

This made me cry!! So happy for your sweet family! Love Reese and love all of you!! :)

Jana said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful! I love all that dark hair. And you look beautiful too!

Miranda said...

Oh Michelle! What a story! I am so glad both you and Reese are doing so well after such a crazy day. I laughed out loud because that story is so YOU! You down-play your own needs and never want anyone to make a fuss. I'm happy Clay didn't have to deliver your baby! Love you!