Each year around the middle of July, our church does a "mission trip" within our own city of Houston. Most of the sites, if not all are in underprivileged, inner-city areas. This year there were 13 different sites and at each site church members put on a week long VBS, have youth and adult ministry, have evangelism teams going out into the neighborhood of the site, and provide food for all.
Two years ago, I was able to lead VBS at one of the sites...thanks to a little encouragement from a friend Kari (who with her husband were the sites overall leaders.) That was my first time doing Houston Project and it was amazing! The kids that we were serving were so similar to the children at SSE, where I was teaching at the time. Sidetracked. Anyway, last year because I had just had Riley we were not able to participate.
This year, Clay and I and Riley volunteered at a different site, somewhat closer to our home. This particular site teamed up with FCA for the first time and offered a free sports camp. I wasn't sure where I wanted to serve (vbs, sports camp, food, etc.) and so while attending one of the meetings the site leader for Nottingham Park mentioned a need for a photographer to document the week. Well, I decided I would give it a go. I knew that my pictures are no where near the professional level but I thought it would give me great practice and I would be serving at the same time!
Long story but below are some of the images I came away with.

Clay helping with VBS.

This is not me. I must have liked this sweet little boy. He is in so many pictures.
Riley was a hit. One afternoon (Houston project takes place in the evenings), I had just arrived and was helping children register before starting to take pics. The 0-3 year old volunteers had not arrived yet so I had Riley with me. These two precious, sweet boys ran up to us and asked to hold Riley. Of course I could not say no! And they were so sweet to assure me that they helped raise their sisters and cousins. Well, Riley LOVED these two boys. So much in fact that when I tried to take her back she clung to the boys shirt and refused to go with me! HA! So much for separation anxiety! :) Above is Riley being held by her favorite friends as other friends and the 0-3 year old volunteer looked on.
Below is a picture of Riley with each her newest favorite people.
Funny.



3 comments:
Love those pictures! The last one gave me chills.
Your pictures are beautiful and what a wonderful experience!
I love the picture of Riley with the kids. I feel it is so important to expose our kids to differences. I love to bring C up to my school and my kids love it when I do.
Post a Comment