Early last week Riley started acting funny. Fussier and more grumpy than usual. Nothing I did would calm her down. (Clay and I know fussy really well and this was different, worse!) I kept thinking she had to be sick. I took her temperature over and over and Clay even went to get one of these really handy thermometers. Her temp was always normal. So then I thought it had to be her reflux...but she had hardly been spitting up at all and has been doing so well on her meds. So finally last Wednesday we went to see Dr Shuman. I was so excited for them to weigh Riley...I thought for sure she would be over 10 pounds now. So imagine my dissapointment when the scale said 9 lbs 3 oz. WHAT??? Oh no. Riley had only gained 4 oz in about 7 weeks. :(
So long story made short. We are now having to supplement Riley with formula. Not my first choice, as I have a hard time thinking that what is natural is not right. However, she really needs the added calories.
So basically from what we and the doctor can tell the poor girl was just really really hungry. She went from taking only 2oz bottles (the few times we actually gave her bottles) to now nursing + 3-4 oz "baby shake" at each feeding. The first several days she did so well and even took some 1-2 hour naps on her own while lying across her boppy (previously unheard of). And she already looks like she has gained weight. However, the last few days her stomach has been really bothering her again and she has been spitting up like a champ. Not sure what is going on. Possibly the type of formula? Possibly something I am eating? I seriously doubt this as there is not much I can remove from my already very restricted diet. We are thinking it is time to see a pedi Gastoenterologist. We pray each day for healing for Riley and would love if you would pray for her too!



5 comments:
prayers are coming!
Oh michelle...my heart goes out to you guys!! Sounds like the same stuff we went through and I know it is SO HARD! Praying for you guys! Have you tried probiotics? Jackson was a different child and started sleeping through the night the 1st day we gave him some.
I know you are prob hearing all kinds of advice, but here goes, is she on soy milk? That is what I had to put Nicki on and it was a wonderful change!!!! Give her lots of kisses for me!
I will definitely pray! It is such trial & error trying to figure out tummy issues!
Oh it sounds like yall are going through a lot with little Riley. Hopefully you find something that comforts her...and gives you rest. Good luck, I will be praying.
Post a Comment