Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

obey


Several weeks ago, Clay and I decided it was time to start disciplining our sweet girl. Before this point we were disciplining, but were just using verbal discipline "no, no" and distraction to stop unwanted behaviors. This worked great for early toddlerhood. However, as all toddlers do Riley started to push bounderies and limits a little more each month. So with some great advice from my small group (thank you girls so much!!) and Clay's business partner we decide to step up our disciplining.

I don't remember exactly what Riley had done but basically I asked her to stop doing something. She continued and did so with defiance, so I firmly and calmly told her she had to "obey Mommy and because she didn't, now she would get a spanking". Spanking, crying, hugs and loving words "but Riley needs to obey Mommy" followed. Later, that evening I was giving Riley a bath (Clay was out of town) and when it came time to get out of the tub Riley flops down on her back, flips to her stomach and just splashes around, laughing the whole time. (Oh and of course this was the funniest thing the first oh...10 times she did it but not anymore.) So again, I asked her to stand up 2-3 times. More splashing. Another spanking and quick obey talk followed. I wiped tears and brushed teeth and sang a song and all was good again. UNTIL, as I was carrying Riley into her room to put on her pj's she looks at me, laughs, hits my arm and says "Obey Mommy". hahaha I tried my hardest not to laugh. Later the next day, I was carrying Riley to change her diaper and she said "no Mommy that way" pointed in a different direction, and when I did not go where she wanted, she again hit my arm and said "Obey." Ha!


And more photos just for fun!



And to blackmail Clay...

2 comments:

Courtney Squillante said...

How funny!! What a smart little girl!! :)

The Kellys said...

We use the word obey when disciplining. It seems to make a difference, rather than using " listen to me" or something else. This parenting stuff is difficult. Lean on faith, friends, and family!