1. Yesterday we had our first trip to an urgent care/emergency center. Boo. It started like any normal Saturday. Riley woke up but was a little fussier than usual. We ate, then played outside, and then took a family trip to Costco. Well from Costco (we took seperate cars) Clay headed to the office and Riley and I came back home. As usual I let her walk from the car to our front door on her own (often she will help me carry grocery items, but yesterday I didn't have anything light enough for her to carry.) She was walking so slow and fussying alot, I thought she was just ready for a nap, until she got to the front step and could not even step up. As soon as I picked her up to help her I realize how incredibly hot she was. So I quickly take her temp several times. 104.6, 105.2, 104.9 YIKES! Riley has never had a fever this bad, so I call Clay and he puts in a call to the Dr. While we wait to hear from the nurse I get Riley a popscicle, medicine and set her down. Her whole little body started shaking. Scary! After several long minutes, the nurse called us back asked a few questions and tells us to head to an urgent care facility. Wow, not what I was expecting. I thought they would just tell us how to help ease down her fever. Nope. Well long story but they ran several tests. Looked for ear infections, upper resp infection, urinary tract infection, strep, etc and could not find out what was causing her fever. And by the time we had reached the emergency center her fever which had been over 104 for an hour finally came down. We learned that it can take about an hour for ibuprofin to kick in. And while I am so grateful it was not something more serious (that we know of), and grateful that we have urgent care on Saturdays that we can just rush our child to when in need; I am kindof feeling ehhh about no diagnosis and the generic give her over the counter meds tylenol and ibuprofin. Now I am wondering/questioning when I should really be worried about a fever. I will make sure to question our pedi next time we go.
2. While thinking about our experience yesterday I remembered that I never blogged about our first call to Poison Control. So Riley was helping me clean up our master bedroom. She is always incredibly helpful, she can usually be found emptying every drawer of Clays nightstand. Well this particular time she found those little packets that come in shoe boxes that say in bold lettering DO NOT SWALLOW. I didn't notice she had them until I hear something rip and I look up and she is tossing those little balls into her mouth. YIKES! Timing wise I know she wasn't able to ingest much but still very scary. When you see DO NOT SWALLOW all over the packet. So qucily I called Poison control only to learn that Silica gel is really not poisonous and is basically like eating sand. According to the very kind person I talked to the reason behind the label is that the entire packet could be considered a choking hazard.
I would really love to not have anymore of these types of firsts!!
And because every post is better with a picture...
2 comments:
Oh my goodness- how scary! And I'm with you on the "diagnosis"- I would want more answers!! Glad sweet Riley is ok now!
Great picture!
Post a Comment